Friday, January 20, 2006

The Girl with the Grey Iris

Sayuri lived the life of a fisherman's daughter, poor and yearning for a better life. It was as if fate had dealt her a bad hand. If it wasn't bad enough that they were barely making ends meet at home, her mother fell ill with a mysterious illness confining her to the bed. Her father, a stoic, silent man spent his day out in the open sea, and during the stormy seasons, mending his net in their home. He was a quiet man. Sayuri's sister held the fort, taking over household chores and the like. Sayuri was a young girl. Her mother had been her only true friend and companion and now even that had been taken away from her. Looking at the terrible misfortune that had beheld Sayuri all her life, one would think that her life was finally taking a turn towards the bright side the day a man (whose name I've forgotten and am too lazy to check seeing as I would have to heave my ass off my computer chair and drag myself up the stairs, into my room from which I may never return seeing as I may just decide to go back to sleep which is something I am avoiding seeing as I have to leave for uni in an hour and a half. It's 8 am and I haven't slept a wink the whole night and I blame it on the impending doom of my results which I will know in exactly 3 hours. But nevermind that.) appeared on their doorstep, beckoning for Sayuri's father to release his 2 daughters into his care, with the knowledge that neither he nor his wife would ever see either of them again.

And this is where the story begins for Sayuri. Her sister was just a side character thrown in by the author but the last I heard, she was thrown into a brothel if you must know. Memoirs of a geisha is a story of Sayuri and her life as a geisha under the tutelage of one Mameha, a geisha of renowned beauty and style. It is a story that intricately weaves the fine webs of deceit, hatred, jealousy, desire and most of all undying love. Many other characters spice up the storyline and makes it a very enjoyable read indeed for example Nobu, the cynical yet intellectual individual who unfortunately was scarred on his face, earning him the nickname of Lobster (I may be wrong, but it was definitely something to the effect of Lobster. But it doesn't really matter la.)and a Dr Crab, yet another of Sayuri's suitors. Like the title says, what set Sayuri apart from all the other geishas was the fact that she had grey eyes. This was apparently a sight to behold although it gives me the heebee jeebies just thinking about it.

Sayuri goes through much disappointment and discouragement at the beginning of her stay in the house of geisha. (there was a special name for this 'house of geisha' but I forget. I'll check later and correct it ok.) She is mistreated by Hatsumomo, a nasty bitch if you ask me, who makes her life a living hell in the beginning. However, Sayuri's life takes a turn for the better somewhere in the middle of the book. I shall leave you to read that for yourself.

Memoirs of a geisha to me, has a central theme, and it is that of pure, unadulterated love as it is her love for a certain person whose real name I have also forgotten but is also known as The Chairman which I believe provides the drive for her character and is in essence her very reason for living. An awesome read. Go read the book before you catch it in the cinemas.

Please bear in mind that I'm writing this off the top of my head without any references whatsoever (due to reasons I have provided in the first paragraph) or sleep so forgive me if I make the occassional grammatical error and for the many memory lapses I have had in regards to names of characters.

I give this book 5 lizard tails or claws, whatever. Sorry,I don't know how to load them tails. If somebody who knows would kindly do it for me (read: We-Ki) I would very much appreciate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home